Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Thank You Galen!

Today's comments at the Canadian Food Summit by Loblaw's Executive Chairman Galen Weston Jr., were just what I needed to hear. 

I have for over 12 years worked and lived towards a food system that embraces what Slow Food likes to call "good, clean, fair" - delicious food produced in an ecologically sustainable way that provides a fair income for farmers and farm workers.

But, like most people, the chaos of everyday life, the challenges of time and various budget limitations have sometimes impeded my own ability to shop and eat the way I would like to, the way I feel I should. 

However, when I read Galen's comments it was a huge kick in the pants.

It was a reminder that, despite the advertising, despite the store makeovers, despite the Christmas sweater, Galen Weston and Loblaws are not interested in supporting farmers - no matter how many black and white photos they put on the pork, beef and chicken. 

So thank you Galen for making me think.  And you know what I think? 

I think it's time we had a little space, maybe see some other people, find out if we can really be happy together. 

Honestly, it's me, not you. 

I just need some time....we'll start with 30 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment